Having difficult conversations is tough. Frequently, we prefer to ignore or avoid them. People have a natural fear of them turning sour or creating unintended consequences. It would be an odd person that said they looked forward to them. Despite this, they are necessary to ensure successful and sustainable outcomes, individually and for teams. Training Central’s Having Difficult Conversations training materials will equip your learners with the knowledge and skills to overcome their fears and nip potential problems in the bud before they escalate.
Whether the feedback is for operational or behavioural performance reasons, participants will apply a range of tools and techniques to ‘real’ situations that they are dealing with.
The session explores the barriers and challenges participants feel they face before establishing approaches to overcome these. The fundamental principles of giving structured, honest and objective performance feedback will be explored, along with developing a plan that will enable them to prepare for many of the common responses they will face, when trying to address the performance of individuals and teams.
The training content will help learners to develop the confidence and competence to face into difficult conversations in a timely and consistent manner.
- Understand the causes and recognise the warning signs of poor performance
- Understand how to provide constructive and timely feedback
- Apply models and techniques to help prepare for and shape effective and courageous conversations.
- Exploring the barriers that prevent having difficult conversations and the type of difficult conversations faced
- Recognising the root causes and warning signs of poor performance
- Exploring models that help to shape courageous conversations
- Understanding and recognising the responses they will face
- Applying models and techniques to ‘real’ performance challenges.
- Welcome and Introductions
- What Inhibits You Currently?
- It’s a common challenge
- Barriers – What stops you?
- What types of difficult conversations do you face into?
- Underlying Causes and Signs
- Tackling poor performance
- Tools and Techniques
- BEER Model
- What to say
- Quality conversations
- PAADS response
- Application of learning
- Commitment to Action
- 3-3.5 hours
- Script (master class)
- Materials Check List
- Joining Instructions
- Trainer Guidance
- Flip Chart Guide
- Activity Briefs/Supporting Materials
- Learning Evaluation Form